22 April 2010

AMBOISE IN PICTURES

We enjoyed our day in Amboise.  Our very first visit there was in 1994 when we were on our first motorcycle tour of France together.  I was on my old Virago 535, a pretty but immensely impractical bike for long distance touring, and it broke down by the river bank on the opposite side from the château. We were on our way to the town and looking for a campsite. I remember thinking what a beautiful view of the château we had as we tinkered with the bike by the roadside.  The problem turned out to be minor, thankfully, and we were soon on our way again.

How times change, this time we were in the car, with wine tasting our aim.

 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Amboise is a nice town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been there but it looks worth a visit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amboise is definitely my favourite town in the Loire Valley. But you already knew that, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning pictures taken in a stunning country.Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a café/salon de thé just kitty-corner from the château that makes the best hot chocolate.
    Lovely pictures, made me want to go there right away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you wrote about the bike breaking down and looking at a chateau. Looks a nice place. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. First photo: There's a nice little retaurant hiding behind that iron gate in the back! It's called 'The Parvis' I think. We had a lovely lunch there in 2001, or was it 2002?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walt, FF, Dedine, Diane and Ken, it is a lovely town and well worth a visit. Nick usually takes me there on a Monday when the shops are closed. I forget and fall for it every time !

    Dedene and Martine - thanks for the tip !

    ReplyDelete